Last year after reading in, "Baby 411," and, "Toddler 411,"- two of my favorite books- that, if done correctly, potty training can be done in one day, I set out to find out more about this one day approach.
I landed on, "Potty Train in One Day." (See: http://www.potty-training-in-one-day.com/) Which is recommended by Parents Magazine and Dr. Phil. (Not that I place alot of stock in Dr. Phil, but...) I watched the DVD, read the book, bought the doll and then realized Carter was not ready. I didn't want to blow my one shot by rushing it. So, I waited...
Until today...
I re-read the book last night and got Scotty Potty ready to go this AM. Carter was siked about becoming a big boy and not using diapers anymore- putting on big boy underwear for the first time. You make this a really big deal! I cheered and we called Dad and clapped and cheered some more. He looked really proud of himself, which is what you want.
One funny thing said after he put on his big boy, "underwears" as he pronounced it-
Momma: Carter do you like you big boy underwear?
Carter: Yes, but Makenzie (pronounced, "Bakenzie") doesn't like them.
(We went to the zoo with Makenzie on Wednesday, so I guess she is on his mind.)
Momma: Makenzie doesn't like them? How do you know?
Carter: I just know. She doesn't like them.
Okay...Well...
Next was practice time. It was fun for us to practice using the Scotty doll- practice both dressing and undressing and feeding and using the potty, as well as what happens when Scotty has an accident in his big boy underwear- you have to practice going from the spot of the accident to the potty 3 times.
So, we are drinking lots of water and juice and milk today and the key phrase is, "Are your underwear wet or dry?" He has to respond and so far they have been dry. Then you say, "Is it time to go potty?" I asked him about an hour ago and he said, "Yes!" We ran in and he went on the potty! Yeah!
It's almost nap time and he is going to nap with his underwear on. I believe nap time will be okay, as he usually wakes up from nap time with a dry diaper.
However, I think for nighttime we will use a pull-up. His morning diapers are still quite wet and so according to the book he is probably not ready for nighttime training, plus I don't want him getting up in the middle of the night and going to the bathroom alone! There are just still too many safety hazards in their for my taste.
So, again, the book suggests using something other than a diaper since you got rid of those in your Big Boy Underwear ceremony. Hmmm...
If anyone has an other suggestions please comment. I am open, as I am learning here, too!
Carter with Scotty and Showing Me his Big Boy "Underwears"








No comments:
Post a Comment