Sunday, March 29, 2009

Potty Training Update

I realized, when I clicked on the blog today, I hadn't updated potty training.

Well...

I am more than pleased to report it has gone very well! We reached the one week mark Friday with only 3 accidents. All of which happened when he was too involved in play, forgot to stop and then told me as he was going.

We have taken him shopping (even as early as the first day we began, which Potty Train in One Day frowned upon), out to eat and to two kid birthday parties. He has been a potty training champ!

At home, Carter is napping in his underwear and has not had a single nap time accident! His first day at Nilda's however, he had a nap time accident- poo & pee. Because of this, Nilda has asked that he be in diapers or Pull-ups during nap times at her house. I don't want diapers, so I sent over Pull-ups. However, I continue to rethink it, as, again, at home he has not had a single nap time accident (7 days and counting).

Bowel movements are an issue. Other than the accident at Nilda's, he has not had a poo accident, which is great. However, going on the potty is an adjustment for him. Usually he tells me he has to go poo and then by the time we get to the bathroom, pull down pants and he sits, the urge is gone. This will happen 3-8 times before he actually sits and the BM is complete.

Tonight, after about our sixth trip to the potty, I finally said, "Let's sing a song. Maybe that will help your poo poo come out." (Oh the things you will try!)

So, we sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, to which Carter replied, "It didn't help my poo poo come out Momma. Let's try Itsy Bitsy Spider."

I oblige.

After we finished he says, "That didn't help either. Maybe, Row, Row, Row Your Boat."

I begin.

I didn't finish the first line before the face turned red, he put his hand over my mouth and told me to stop singing and then said, "It worked! Row, Row Your Boat worked! My poo poo came out!"

Who knew Row, Row, Row Your Boat had such power over the body?!

Anyway, I can officially mark Thursday, March 19th as the last time I put a diaper on Carter and Friday morning March 20th as the last time I took a wet diaper (or any diaper) off of him.

My sweet boy continues to grow. I am proud. I am happy. I am excited. Is it okay to be a little sad, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment