Friday, March 20, 2009

Chutes and Ladders

For his birthday quite a few people asked me what to get Carter. Since he was turning 3 and I knew I would be home with him next year, the teacher in me kicked in and I said, "games and puzzles."

I am happy to report that he got all 4 traditional Milton Bradley Games- Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Memory and Hi-Ho Cheerio! Plus, Ants in the Pants, "Little Einstein's" Dominoes and, for Christmas, Don't Spill the Beans. I am so excited! We can learn to play games!

Noah and I let him choose and we started two nights ago with Chutes and Ladders.

Overall, things went well. He's not sure how to count and stay in only one space- for example he might count 1-2-3-4 but he will have moved 8 spaces. So, we have to count and move with him.

Also, yesterday, he started to cry when he didn't win. Great learning moment as we talked about the fact that he will not always win. Everyone has a chance of winning, that's why it's called a game and that it's important to be excited and happy for the winner- Good Sportsmanship.

A 3 year old and games makes for a great day of learning! I look forward to when he has mastered the concept(s) and we can play and laugh and have family game night around the table for real. How fun will that be?!




No comments:

Post a Comment