Got a Babycenter.com update a couple of days ago.
Love my Babycenter.com updates. If you are expecting, and haven't yet signed up with them, add it to your, "to do list," and sign up for their weekly email updates. They track your pregnancy and will send you pictures and updates on how your baby is developing in the womb. Once your child is born, those updates continue, with additional facts and parenting tips. I don't read it all the way through, as I did when I was pregnant, but every now and then a nugget of valuable information will catch my eye. Well, as I was saying, I got one a couple of days ago.
Carter has had several play dates in the last month where I find him almost out of control. He runs around like a mad man, hyper and not listening. His sharing skills continue to lack. Grabbing toys is a norm. Screaming and crying- him or the other child or BOTH- almost always happens. Quite frankly, it makes me feel out of control- a feeling I DO NOT like.
I always said my children would never act that way. I was a proponent of direct, stern discipline. That was before I had kids.
Now, I get caught up in what is normal behavior for a 3 year old boy on a play date? Honestly, I don't know.
What I do know is I want to teach him to be respectful of others and their homes. I want him to know right from wrong, essentially I want him to follow the Golden Rule. I just don't think he understands the Golden Rule yet and other than time outs or spankings (Yes, I do that- in certain situations) I am not sure how to get him there. As a first time parent I am still learning myself.
So, if you've had a play date with Carter- and me- recently, I apologize for his rough and tumble behavior and I ask that you be patient with both of us as we are still learning.
Oh yeah, and that nugget from Babycenter.com?
Your Three Year Old Now
Three-year-olds can play cooperatively with others, but usually not for long. A successful play date might last less than an hour. Many 3-year-olds continue to play alone but near other children or cooperate briefly and then move on to their own activity. Long interactive play sessions will probably start next year. Some shy children will need several "dates" to feel comfortable with another child.
Although your child probably seems much less self-centered than she did a year ago, she's still struggling with sharing. A young preschoolers way of saying "I'd like to play with you" may be to grab a toy from a playmate or even give him a shove. Some kids may be able to resolve conflicts themselves, but most will still run to a grownup for help. Here's your chance to teach about sharing and taking turns: "Why don't you let Jimmy have the bucket first? Then it's your turn." Most kids this age, just learning the art of negotiating, are willing to accept such compromises.
Oh, Good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment