Having a December birthday, my parties were almost always indoors and guess what I picked to do? Yup, skate parties. The local rink- the only rink- in Santa Fe, Texas was this little family run one, but we always had fun. Good memories, fun times.
So anyway, again, I was totally siked when I saw the skate night invitation- better yet, it was 80's themed! Woo-hoo! Total flashback experience!
I took Carter to Target and we picked up some 80's garb. (It's amazing when you look, the 80's stuff out right now.) Even Bean got a great turquoise and burnt orange stripped shirt that screamed the 80's! We were ready to go!
It was when Carter and I pulled up at the rink that I realized I could NOT remember the last time I had been on a pair of skates. Seriously, I have no clue. So, needless to say it has been a while. Plus, I am not nearly as thin, flexible or fearless i.e. young- as I was the last time I had a pair on. I actually thought, for the first time in my life, about how a fall could cause serious injury! Top that off with the fact that I would be skating with a three year old who had never been in skates before and that is a recipe for fun right there.
Well, it was FUN! Total fun. I was a little shaky on my skates, but not too shabby. My co-workers were so much fun to be with and laugh with. It was a great time.
Best of all? Bean skated for the first time! Yup, my baby boy put on his first pair of rented roller skates, held both my hands and off we went, albeit slowly and carefully, around the floor. He really enjoyed it! At one point we both fell and he started to cry. I was laughing and encouraged him to rub some dirt on it. He kept crying, so when I said, "Do you want to go sit down?" through tears he screamed, "NO! I want to skate!" That's my kid! Around we went again!
Soon, Noah showed up- no 80's gear for him- and Noah walked with Carter while I got to speed it up a bit and skate with my friends.
What a blast!
I read that the rink offers a class for moms called something like, "Roll and Stroll," or something on Thursdays. It is where you can skate and push your kids in their strollers. How fun would that be? (Although at this point Carter would want to skate and not stroll, but on second thought, he may like the speed a stroller could provide- kinda like a ride at a theme park...hmmmm...)
I hope to take Carter again soon. I know we would both have a great time!
Got to love the 80's look. Carter was over the pictures at this point!

Doing Great on his skates:

My skater boy:






No comments:
Post a Comment