Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sleep Update

Carter slept perfect Sunday night. Per...fect!

Monday, Nilda told me she tried to wake Carter after an hour nap, but she had a hard time waking him and he got up after an hour and a half.

Last night was rough. He was calling for me at 3:30a. Again at 4:30a and one final time at 5:00a. He was still up and ready to go at 7:00a this morning.

Today, I kept him to an hour nap. He didn't want to get up and looked so precious laying there. Oh, so edible and sweet! But, he did get up.

I am praying tonight will be better. We'll see.

We saw Dr. K today. Carter's had a bit of a runny nose, so I wanted to have it checked out before I leave for Galveston. Thankfully, nothing is infected or contagious, but I did ask him about the sleep issue. He was very matter-of-fact that it is a stage and that it is our (mine and Noah's) job to make sure he stays in his room and knows it's not playtime. It is bedtime. (Check!) He said it is best to ignore him and not go in at all. (See Ferber)

I reminded him (as if he doesn't know with young kids of his own or with the thousands of families he must see) that it is easier said than done. He gave a bit and said we can go check on him when he calls, but we are to be brief and there is little if any talking. (Check!)

He did say that some 3 year old's cut out their nap, but said if Carter is still asking for it, he must want one. He said he thought his bed time, wake time and a 2 hour bed time should still be fine.

I relayed this information to Noah with some dismay. In classic Noah fashion he replied, "Well, did you tell Dr. K. that he can come over and ignore him screaming, 'Momma,' or, 'Dada," at the top of his lungs at 3:30 in the morning while we get some sleep?"

Well, that thought did cross my mind, but I thought better of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment