Woo-Hoo Girls Night Out! What a fun evening! I drove home Thursday to go with my Mom to the event that featured Kate Gosselin.
I used to LOVE Jon and Kate Plus 8. I've been a watcher since their first hour long documentary, Surviving Twins and Sextuplets aired. There was something very true and pure about this average husband and wife struggling to make their way in the world after having two sets of multiples. One set, obviously, more of a challenge than the other! They were very real and on a basic wife and mom level, I could very much relate to her and, in some small way, feel her pain. There was a mommy kinship.
Well, now I have a love/hate relationship with the show.
First, the babies are no longer babies and all the trials that go along with raising babies, no longer apply. The sextuplets are now almost 5 and ready to begin kindergarten. Although there are still challenges, they are just not as fun to watch. Six babies with rice cereal on their chin, drool and poopy diapers are A LOT more fun!
Second, and maybe most important, Jon and Kate are no longer an average husband and wife raising their multiples. They are celebrities in their own right, thanks to the success of the show and, where they both once worked regular jobs to support their family, they now, "work" by traveling to speaking engagements and by writing books. I understand TLC pays them a nice sum to do the show, not to mention, all the free perks- tummy tuck- okay she deserved this, but..., hair transplant, free trips, park admissions, behind the scenes tours, etc...- that they get on a regular basis. I am mean, sure, it's a great life for them, but for the rest of us, still in the real world, it's not as easy to relate to and I no longer feel a kinship with this, "struggling," mother of eight.
Love/hate relationship. I cheer for them on one hand and on the other feel they are becoming a money making organization focused on banking for that new home we will be introduced to Monday night on TLC at 9:00p/8:00central and financing their kids' college funds (at this rate they will be able to attend Ivy league universities).
Love/hate.
But, I have to say, I loved Kate Thursday night. First off, she is beautiful. Completely beautiful- tall, thin, stylish, great skin- beautiful. But, what I found was that she, at least for the hour I was with her, is beautiful on the inside, too. She has a profound faith that has carried her through many difficult situations, including the painful decision to go against all doctors' advice and not selectively reduce- let's be frank- abort any of her sextuplets...
Okay, here's another money making opportunity for the Gosselin's- I suggest you read her book, Multiple Blessings. It shares pieces of this faith building, "exercise." (If you are on the hate side, you can borrow my copy, but be sure to return it- it is now an autographed one!)...
But, her faith and the firm and loving support from Jon (yes, I said firm referring to Jon!) kept her focused and strong through infertility, a failed adoption, OHSS, the shock of sextuplets, bed rest, crazy illness while pregnant, Jon being laid off TWICE- once during her pregnancy and, again, right after the birth of the babies- yes, NO income for 8 kids- and then just the day-to-day of caring for 8 kids- 6 infants!
This woman is a testament to staying strong in the Lord and trusting Him ALWAYS!
I am very happy I got to hear Kate, maybe there will be a little more love and a little less hate from now on. (At least until I see their new house Monday night!)
So, for the fun part-
Before the evening began I asked if Kate would be signing books after the event. Yuppo, baby! My mom and I had seats on row J, (not too shabby!), so as she began wrapping up, I walked to the back of the church to get in line- 4,000 women were in attendance and I was not going to be in the back of that line!
Well, as it worked out I was number 30 in line and I was prepared- book, camera, Texas pecan wood holding cross with a note to Kate inside!
What's a holding cross? A family at my church makes them. Their story is a great one and you can check it out on their web site. If you have not seen these crosses or you are a woman- you need one. In fact, if you have a man, he needs one, too! Check them out www.holdingcross.com!
Then, it began, the rush to get everyone through the line- have your book open to this page, have your camera on, focused, zoomed, etc... and basically, stay orderly and pay attention.
I was kinda like Ralphy from A Christmas Story when he sat on Santa's lap. They took my book and lined it up on the table (there were three books in front of mine), I passed the camera off to the camera lady (who was not a professional, I should note), made eye contact with my mom, and before I knew it Kate had grabbed my book and signed it. She handed it to me and it was in that moment that I realized I was about to slide down the slide and had not told Santa what I really wanted!
"Kate, I brought you a holding cross made from Texas pecan wood."
She stopped, looked at it, looked up at me and with true enthusiasm said, "Ohhhh! Thank you!"
I said, as I was walking away, "No, thank you," we held eye contact for a few seconds as she watched me walk off the stage!
My mom was like, "Wow! What did she say to you, she seemed really interested."
How cool is that?!
Here's the point where I sing like a child-
I met Kate Gosselin! I met Kate Gosselin! I talked to Kate Gosselin! I met Kate Gosselin!
Then, I looked at the picture the, "camera lady," snapped- my back, not face is in the pic, but it is at the point where Kate is looking at the holding cross saying , "Ohhh!"
I would have liked a, "look at my new best friend, " pic where we are head to head and both smiling at the camera, but this one's cool, too!
More singing-
I met Kate Gosselin! I met Kate Gosselin! I talked to Kate Gosselin! I met Kate Gosselin!
(In case you missed it, new episodes on Jon and Kate Plus 8 are on TLC Mondays at 9:00p/8:oop central!)
Kate speaking about finding out she was expecting sextuplets-
Larger than life on the screen to my right-
"Ohhhh!" Kate's reaction to the Texas pecan holding cross-






How exciting, sounds like you had a great time! I'm curious, how do you feel about the Duggars?
ReplyDelete-Kristi