Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Noah!

This week we celebrated quite a bit. January 7th was Noah's birthday. Birthdays are always special and fun times, but this one held special significance for us as it was one Noah remembers!

Most of you know that last year Noah spent 3 weeks in the neuro ICU at St. Luke's in Houston, 4 weeks doing in-patient rehab at TIRR in Houston and another 6 weeks doing out-patient rehab back near home after being diagnosed with either bacterial meningitis or ADEM (depending on which doctor you talk to) during our Christmas visit to see my family. It was a long, hard time to put it mildy, but by the mercy and grace of God, everyone made it through blessed.

On January 7, 2008, Noah was in the neuro ICU. He was finally turning the corner and heading toward consciousness after having received his first plasmapheresis treatment on January 5th. Yet, he does not remember his birthday. He has reminded me of this fact many times! I was determined to make this birthday special and one he WOULD remember!

Noah, Carter and I celebrated his birthday Wednesday by having a small cake (I love those little round ones Kroger makes) and take-out from PF Chang after work. But, the real party was last night!

I told Noah we were having a party, but I didn't tell him what we were doing or where we were going. If you know Noah, you know he hates that kind of thing! He does not like surprises and he certainly does not like the idea that he could be embarrassed in public.

I arranged for our friends and family meet us at Main Event for bowling! I designed a party t-shirt for us to wear and had it custom screened. (Check them out in the pics) I blindfolded Noah- then put our shirts on, loaded up the car, drove all around neighborhoods to confuse Noah's sense of direction and then led him into Main Event, still blindfolded, to the big reveal with everyone there! It was so much fun!

All of our most favorite people were there (well, a few were missing, but most were there) and we had a blast bowling and talking.

We had a lane set up just for the kids with gutter cushions and a ball ramp. They had so much fun rolling the ball and watching it hit the pins at the end of the lane. (This was Carter's first time bowling and I know we will need to take him again, soon.) The kids! It was so much fun to see the kids! Not too long ago, we would have been a bunch of married couples out for a night of bowling. However, now we are moms and dads helping our little ones learn something new and cheering them on. Looking at their faces, seeing their smiles and happiness. Now that is something special!

The two hours flew by and before we knew it we were heading home.

Times like last night make me so very thankful for the life and health we enjoy- especially Noah's health- and the wonderful family and friends we have been blessed with. Last night- the family, friends and fun are truly examples of life's special moments to treasure.


Celebrating Dada's Birthday on Wednesday. Carter picked out the pink cake!

Noah at Main Event with his brother, Matt



Carter waiting for his ball...

Letting it go off the ramp...
Clapping for his roll!

Happy Birthday Noah/Dada! Carter and I love you very, very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment