Okay, Noah's CNN reporting was wrong. It's the mother's father, not the octuplets' father, that is scheduled to return to Iraq.
Here's the latest from Yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_us/octuplets
I have serious questions and issues about her reproductive endocrinologist. Why would he/she implant 8 embryos for any reason period? But, add on top of that, the doctor knew the woman had high success rates which IVF in the past which upped her odds of having multiples. I, like everyone else, question this doctor's ethics.
In my own personal experience with IVF, my doc has a very strict policy- only two embryos are implanted. Period. This is for the health and safety of the mother, as well as the health and safety of the babies. Plus, as I learned from him, research shows that implanting two embryos is the number shown to increase chances of pregnancy. Implanting more than 2 embryos does not increase the chance of pregnancy, just the chance of having high order multiples.
Since, I do have personal experience with this I am furious about it. I don't care how many children this woman wants to have as long as she can love them and provide for them. To each his own. However, as I said above, I am furious at the doctor for putting babies lives in danger and I am furious at the mother for allowing herself to be a science experiment in her quest (obsession?) to have more children.
And, on a level I cannot fully explain and that I do not have words for my heart hurts. I crave more children. I ache for them. Yet, this unmarried, living at home with her parents, looney toon can have 6 at home and successfully give birth to 8 more without a single problem. (Do you know the odds of having 8 healthy babies at one time? It's astronomical!) It blows my mind!
My financially sound husband and I who are incredibly responsible with ourselves and our one child want to add children (in a healthy way- not 8 at a time) to our family and struggle to do so. Where is the logic in it? Mind blowing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment